As we all know, adequate sleep is very important to ensure that one is healthy and strong. Lack of sleep will not only have physical effects, but it can also have a huge impact on your over-all quality of life.
Before we discuss the different ways to improve your sleep, we will first talk about what can happen if you always do not have good quality of sleep.
- According to experts, lack of sleep can cause problems with your mood and mental ability. Sleep-deprived people tend to be more irritable and prone to mood swings. You will also notice that they have a problem in concentrating and focusing.
- Lack of sleep can take a toll in your immune system. Because of this, the body will have a hard time fighting off different diseases.
- It can also put people at risk for obesity. This has something to do with two hormones, namely leptin and ghrelin. They are primarily responsible for hunger and fullness control. If your sleep is inadequate, their production will be affected. When this happens, you may experience an increase in appetite. It will also be hard to control your weight.
- If you lack sleep, you may also have dull and lifeless skin. You may also be prone to acne breakout and wrinkle formation.
Now that we know what can happen if you do not get good sleep at night, it is time to list some of the most simple, but effective tips to improve your sleeping habits and experience with your best mattress uk.
- It is important to have enough sun exposure. The rationale behind this is related to the body’s natural circadian rhythm. If your circadian rhythm is healthy, you will not have a problem in falling asleep at night, and natural light from the sun is a great way to ensure this. In fact, in one study, patients suffering from insomnia, experienced better quality of sleep after making sure that they have enough sunlight exposure during the day.
- The quality of your mattress is important. Be ready for sleepless nights if your bed is uncomfortable. Luckily, there are so many quality mattresses and toppers in the market today. All you need to do is to know what you need, research what type fits you the best and visit a nearby showroom to check the mattress personally.
- The atmosphere in your bedroom also plays a significant role in the quality of your sleep. It is important that your room is conducive for resting. For example, it is not ideal to have too much lighting as well as bold wall paints. As much as possible, go for relaxing tones to set the mood.
- Aside from lighting, the temperature of the room is also crucial. Most people prefer around 67°F, but of course, it will still depend on your preference. Just make sure that the temperature is perfect for you to fall asleep.
- You should avoid nighttime light exposure. This just means that if you are already preparing to sleep, it is best to avoid mobile phones, tablets, laptops and the likes. The light from these devices can greatly affect your circadian rhythm. What happens is that your brain will be tricked that it is still daytime; hence, you will have difficulty in falling asleep.
- No matter how much you love coffee, you should avoid drinking it especially if it is already close to your bedtime. Well, actually, aside from coffee, you should also avoid anything that is high in caffeine such as chocolates.
- To improve the quality of your sleep, it is better to avoid long naps during the day. If you can’t do that, go for shorter ones, which are actually more beneficial according to experts.
- Have consistency in your sleeping and waking times. If you start this habit, then you will surely notice better sleep quality. What you need to understand is that you have a natural body clock. Once you have formed a habit, it will be easier for your body to follow your set schedule.
- As much as possible avoid heavy meals during dinner. Several studies have shown that it may affect your sleep quality. Remember that digestion is a long process. If you eat so much before retiring to bed, the tendency is for your body to work harder, instead of resting.
- Adding a plant accent in your bedroom may do the trick. Some plants that you should consider include aloe vera, jasmine and lavender. Jasmine is said to be effective in improving sleep while lavender, which is known for its relaxing smell, really brings calmness. Your room will smell amazing too, which is, of course awesome.
These are just some of the ways to improve your sleep. Just like what we have mentioned earlier, sleep is very important. Oftentimes, it can really spell the difference between a good and bad quality of life. So, if you are one of those who are having a hard time with their sleeping habits, then just follow the tips we have listed above.